WebHostingHub approached us to promote their hosting services on our site and we were not too familiar with the company because only recently did they really crank up their advertising campaigns.
Before making any web hosting recommendations, we always go in and "kick the tires" so-to-speak so that we can make a fair thumbs up or down recommendation. Buying a new hosting account is like going to the doctor: it's a necessary evil but we don't particularly enjoy it.
(Make sure you read to the end of this WebHostingHub review to get a 43% disount off hosting! - oh heck, just click here if you can't wait that long.)
WebHostingHub - a Good Host?
So you're obviously here because you are looking at possibly hosting your website or sites with WebHostingHub. Let's give you a little tidbit of information about them first.
In the hosting industry, it's very common for one company to rebrand their services under a different label or name and offer multiple hosting choices on essentially the same infrastructure.
WebHostingHub is an arm of InMotion Hosting, which we have also hosted sites with in the past, and currently maintain a VPS (virtual private server) with.
InMotion Hosting is well known for their excellent support and responsiveness to customer needs, so I wanted to find out if this same level of service extended to WebHostingHub.
Over the years of promoting InMotion, one thing that I always wished they offered was unlimited shared hosting plans. InMotion always put a cap on the number of websites you could host, which for their Launch plan is two sites, their Power plan allows for six sites and their Pro plan allows for 16 different websites.
If you're familiar with many other hosting companies such as BlueHost or HostMonster, you know they do not put a cap on the number of domains you can host on a single account. WebHostingHub essentially gives InMotion the ability to compete with the likes of BlueHost and HostMonster for the typical shared hosting customer.
For this reason, WebHostingHub comes out of the gate strong initially in our review.
Now lets take a look at the features offered by WebHostingHub.
Linux, AMP and cPanel
WebHostingHub offers an Account Management Panel where you can manage your hosting account services. The AMP gives you a heads up display where you can receive account notifications such as an expiring credit card, a getting started tutorial and notifications of the free advertising credits on Google Adsense and Yahoo/Bing. They give you $100 in free Google credits and $75 in Yahoo/Bing credits so you can start a CPC advertising campaign right away.
The AMP also features a Tools and Resources section where you can easily get information on setting up your website, creating email accounts and adding services such as additional domains, dedicated IP address or SSL certificates.
A suggested articles section in the AMP allows you to easily access hosting account tutorials such as changing your domain DNS and nameserver (which is not the easiest thing for newbies to do), setting up a hosting account backup or transferring a domain into your new WebHostingHub account.
WebHostingHub runs Linux servers, so if your site is standard HTML or PHP, you're good to go. If you site uses the ASP (active server pages) scripting language, you'll want to look elsewhere for a Windows hosting plan.
The AMP is basically your gateway page into your WebHostingHub account, but the real goodies are located in the cPanel. You can easily access that by clicking on the 'Work in Your Control Panel" link in the Control Panel box within the Tools and Resources section.
If you've hosted websites on other cPanel-enabled hosts before, you'll recognize the familiar format of the cPanel options.
Within the cPanel admin interface, you can add on extras to your account such as a Mozy.com backup solution, email marketing tools, newsletter marketing and more.
Within the Preferences panel, you can view how-to tutorials, change your account password, update billing info, install the popular WordPress blogging platform and submit support tickets.
The Mail panel gives you the tools you need to setup and configure your hosting account email accounts, configure autoresponders, forwarders, filters and more.
The Files panel allows you manage your site backups and use the File Manager to upload or delete files or create/delete account directories.
The Logs panel is where you can view your visitor statistics and error logs for your account.
The Security panel allows you to password protect directories within your account and prevent other users from "hotlinking" or stealing your bandwidth by linking to your files.
The Domains section is where you can add subdomains or add-on domains, or control domain redirects.
The Databases tab enables the configuration of any MySQL databases you may need.
The Software/Services tab is where you can access your PHP configuration or use the Fantastico script installer to install a host of different programs onto your account.
The last section in the cPanel is the Advanced section, which is not used by most webmasters, but you can control Apache handlers, error pages and cron jobs.
Click here to try a demo of the cPanel control panel.
Now that you've had a run through of the cPanel configuration on WebHostingHub, you should have a better understanding of how to control some of the aspects of your hosting account.
WebHostingHub Makes it Easy to Get Online
If you're familiar with setting up a hosting account, using FTP or using the cPanel File Manager, then you probably don't need all the hand holding that WebHostingHub provides.
BUT, if you're like a lot of people who are just getting starting with web hosting or need all that hand holding, then WebHostingHub provides some really cool features to make it as easy as possible to get your site online.
Back in the AMP under the Tools and Resources section, there is a Quick Links tab. It works by asking you a series of questions and walking you through the steps needed to get your site uploaded, an existing site transferred to your new account, or software install like WordPress or Joomla.
Now check this out as I run you through an example of how the process works.
Get Started on Website
First, you click on the "Get started on website?" link and it automagically opens two new links where you can choose to either create a new website or transfer your existing website to your new WebHostingHub account.
For this example, we're going to create a new website.
Create a New Website
After clicking on "Create a new website?", it opens a new set of options where you can choose how you will build your site.
If you have your own software such as Adobe Dreamweaver, you can choose the first option. It will then give you the proper FTP settings to use in your software.
If you choose the second option, you can choose from WordPress, the premium web builder, Joomla, Drupal, CubeCart, OsCommerce or Zen Cart.
Once you make your selection, you are sent to the proper installation page where you can do a one-click install of the needed software.
The last option, "Someone is building my site for me." will give you the option to send an email to your web developer that will include all the necessary information for setting up and building your site.
This interactive question and answer session makes it very easy to get your site online with WebHostingHub. You don't have to stumble around cPanel if you don't want to, and the same convenient system is used for setting up your email accounts.
WebHostingHub Hosting Features
Continuing our WebHostingHub review, we still haven't touched on the features of their hosting plans.
To view the full set of WebHostingHub features, click here to open.
They pack a lot of features into their hosting plans, and it can be kind of overwhelming if you're new to web hosting.
Let me break down some of the most important features that you want to look for in any hosting account that are included by WebHostingHub.
- Unlimited Disk Space - This means you don't have a cap on the amount of space your site files consume. This is important because you have to remember that EVERY bit of data used on your account including emails and backups can push your disk space usage quite high.
- Unlimited Bandwidth - This feature allows you to have no limits to the amount of data that your site serves to visitors. This is critical because if you plan on hosting any streaming video or other large files, you don't want your hosting plan to shut you off if you get any unexpected traffic spikes.
- Unlimited Websites - Host one site or two hundred, it doesn't matter. Having unlimited websites means you can add as many new domains to your account as you need. There is no limit so you don't have to worry about finding additional hosting as your domain collection grows.
- 24/7 U.S. Support - If you are either very lucky or the best coder in the world, you won't need support, right? But if you're like the rest of us, then at some point you will probably need to open a support ticket to figure something out. Now obviously if you're not in the U.S. then this isn't a big issue. But if you've ever hosted with a company who outsources their tech support to a middle eastern call center, you know how frustrating it can be to communicate with someone who only knows half the English language. Having their own U.S. support team makes this feature a BIG plus in our book. We're very familiar with the U.S. support offered by InMotion Hosting, and the fact that WebHostingHub is using the same team is huge.
- 90-day Money Back Guarantee - This is what it says. If for some reason you aren't satisfied with WebHostingHub, then you can get your money back and go on your merry way. Many hosts only offer a 30 day window, so 90 days is superb.
- Unlimited Email Accounts - Normally you won't run into any problems with email account caps on a hosting plan because if you're a large enough organization to need a gazillion email address you probably won't be using shared hosting anyway. But it's nice to know you can set up as many email addresses as needed.
- Premium Website Builder - If you don't have the experience to build your own site, you can use the included website builder to create your site. It features over 500 different templates that you can easily customize as needed. Add a blog, photo gallery, forum or other features using the built-in tools. It even allows you to build an online store without having to know the code that goes into it. The fact that the builder is located on WebHostingHub's servers means you can access it from anywhere you have an internet connection.
Many hosting plans come with a website builder, but WebHostingHub gives you the PREMIUM version of this software. It's not the stripped down free version that some other hosts use and try to upsell you into the one that costs money. This premium add-on adds a ton of value for any users who don't have experience with building websites.
- Boatload of Free Software - WebHostingHub's hosting plans all come with a plethora of add-on scripts to enable blogging (WordPress, b2evolution), photo galleries (Coppermine, 4images), user forums (PHPBB, SMF), content management (Joomla, Drupal, Mambo, WordPress), e-commerce tools (Cube Cart, OS Commerce, Zen Cart, SSL certificates) and more.
- Other Included Features - There are a number of other features included with your WebHostingHub hosting plan. These may, or may not, apply to you just depending on what kind of site you are building. These features include: unlimited MySQL databases, email anti-spam software, your choice of three different email clients, unlimited sub-domains, free backup wizard, custom error pages, server side includes (SSI) and more. These features are included on most shared hosting plans as part of the typical cPanel/Linux hosting set up but are worth mentioning.
WebHostingHub Review Wrap-up
What review wouldn't be complete without a nice conclusion to tidy things up?
We've used a lot of hosting plans over the years, some good, some bad, and some were absolutely horrible experiences.
Many web hosts place different caps and throttle limits within their server configurations so you don't get to use the full capability of the service. We didn't notice any of these issues with WebHostingHub. Our uploads and testing went without issue and performance was very good since we are U.S. based.
Everything from transferring our nameserver to installing WordPress went smoothly without any hiccups. From start to finish we had a complete WordPress install configured in less than 5 minutes. And that was even having never seen or used the Account Management Panel before.
The inclusion of AMP is a big benefit for users who may not be familiar with web hosting and it's intricacies. A lot of the questions we get via email from our users are simple hosting and FTP questions that the AMP gives you the solutions for.
Our WebHostingHub review definitely ends on a positive note. We were quite pleased at how well WebHostingHub has configured their plans. It's easy to use, very self-explanatory and attempts to head off any potential issues even before they arise via all the tutorials available in the AMP.
For beginning to intermediate users, we give WebHostingHub a strong thumbs up. For intermediate to advanced users, they will also have no issues with WebHostingHub. Those users will most likely skip directly to the familiar cPanel interface and administer their account from there rather than relying on the AMP.
And lastly, our disclaimer. WebHostingHub granted us a free account on their server in order to complete this review and test their services. It had no impact on whether or not we gave a positive or negative review, because we honestly have more hosting plans that we could use in two lifetimes. Again, we were familiar with InMotion Hosting prior to there even being a WebHostingHub, but we are glad that they jumped into the unlimited shared hosting market with WebHostingHub. It's good hosting at a very good price.
WebHostingHub Discount - No Coupon Code Needed!
The cost of their hosting plans is normally $6.95 a month, but if you click here, you can get a WebHostingHub discount without using any type of coupon code. You will then be able to buy your hosting for only $3.95 a month, which is a savings of 43% off the regular price.
Disclosure: We are a professional review site that receives compensation from the companies whose products we review. We test each product thoroughly and give high marks to only the very best. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own.